Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: File Integrity Check

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:14:30 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Russell Enderby, sie wrote:
In pursuit of determining critical system files for modifications I was
thinking the checksum prog 'sum' would be sufficient.  Understanding
that time,date, and file size can be modified under the ext2fs/ufs
directory table.  Is it possible to also make the 'sum' checksum appear
to be correct?

Yes.  See below.

I was under the impression tripwire uses its own special checksum prog
to verify files, although would 'sum' be sufficient as well?  If not
does anyone know of better more thorough checksum app?

sum(1) is insufficient.  There's a program around that will `fix' a binary
with the wrong output of sum(1).

Tripwire uses a combination of md4/md5 and others - `cryptographic checksums'
which are much much harder to defeat, especially if you use a combination of
different algorithms (which tripwire can do).

What'd be even more amusing is if someone took one of those kernel hacks
posted to bugtraq some time ago for FreeBSD (which intercepted open(2)
and friends) and was able to feed back different information to tripwire
than was normally given when the program was run.

Darren