Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Another Newbie with questions

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:28:16 -0400

From: Rick Smith [mailto:rick_smith () securecomputing com]

At 02:39 PM 8/10/99 -0400, Michael Kelley wrote:

It's looking more and more like I will be the guy doing the
maintainance of the Firewall/Security setup for our company . I don't
have much experience, but I'm told that I am the most
paranoid person in
my department. <heh>

Try to be systematic in your paranoia. Look at what your
company needs to
achieve as an enterprise and deal with the really big risks.
Don't sweat
the small stuff. You'll just give yourself an ulcer and
senior management
won't back you up.

As you say, I think a mixture of paranoia and pragmatism is probably the
best.  I think we all agree that the only impenetrable security is a
sledgehammer, so there has to be some acceptance that someone WILL or COULD
get in, no matter how well a system is secured.  If you turn your network
into fort knox and then settle back and assume you're safe you're only doing
half your job.  Intrusion detection, etc. is the other half (as well as not
having a breakdown when an intrusion is detected).

You need to establish an Internet usage policy that describes how the
company will be using the Internet. If general Web browsing
and e-mail will
be available to anyone, you want to have statements about
"acceptable use"
of those capabilities, unless all the users are senior
managers (in which
case it's probably unenforceable).

Policies are generally unenforcable beyond a certain point, the issue is to
have the policy in place for legal purposes more than anything else.

I'm looking for is personal opinions regarding this device. I
understand it has logging capabilities

Logging will probably play an important part in enforcing
your Internet
usage policy. People are more likely to behave if their
behavior is recorded.

Agreed.  And make that logging known, perhaps coupled with a disclaimer that
the logging isn't specifically to be big-brither so they don't flip out.
People in my office tend to forget their email, etc. is logged and it
becomes an issue every now and then.

I've already started putting the bug in the ears of the deciding
authorities at the office about restricting internet access
to only the
places we have to go. Since word got out that we will be
getting access,
the "Gods' Must Be Crazy" syndrome(#1) has hit the office
and suddenly,
everyone thinks they have a reason to have access to the Internet.

If you're only using the Internet connection to talk to a
single business
partner, then it might be practical to configure the firewall
to only talk
with that partner. On the other hand, lots of companies
provide Internet
access to employees for business purposes and perceive this as a real
benefit to getting work done. Don't be surprised at the level
of interest
being generated.

If you plan on restricting web access, expect to be fielding a lot of
questions about why a user can't get to some website for some business
purpose.  This mailing list is a fairly obvious example of an internet
facility that has business application, not to mention the associated
security websites.  The post I'm quoting mentioned filtering applications.
I've never used them myself but I would agree that they're probably the most
reasonable method of restricting web access from all to some.

[other good stuff snipped]

Sean