Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re:

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:40:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

I suspect you're thinking of the T.J. Hooper case, which Bill
Cheswick and I cited in our firewalls book.  Here's the quote from
the Court of Appeals ruling (60 F.2d 737, 2nd Cir.  1932):

It may be, AIR, the data came from a former AZ State's Attourney at a
conference a few years ago.  I did take notes, but it was on my old
palmtop, and I can't find it or the disk I synched it onto. :(

      Indeed in most cases reasonable prudence is in face common
      prudence; but strictly it is never its measure; a whole
      calling may have unduly lagged in the adoption of new and
      available devices.  It may never set its own tests, however
      persuasive be its usages.  Courts must in the end say what
      is required; there are precautions so imperative that even
      their universal disregard will not excuse their omission...
      But here there was no custom at all as to receiving sets;
      some had them, some did not; the most that can be urged is
      that they had not yet become general.  Certainly in such
      a case we need not pause; when some have thought a device
      necessary, at least we may say that they were right, and
      the others too slack.  ... We hold [against] the tugs
      therefore because [if] they had been properly equipped,
      they would have got the Arlington [weather] reports.  The
      injury was a direct consequence of this unseaworthiness.

The issue was whether or not tugboats needed to be equipped with
radios to receive weather forecasts.

Sounds more accurate than my memory.

Paul
(#2 engines in the Nerf rockets, right?)
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280