Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: httptunnel

From: "Shivdasani, Meenoo" <Meenoo_Shivdasani () NAI com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:35:34 -0800

Only firewalls which authenticate every time you retrieve a file from
outside the domain which you authenticated against would be
safe. However,
I think that due to the fact that many web pages now have
links to graphics
on advertisement networks (which would cause you to
re-authenticate several
times as it downloads the different graphics), very few
people have this
kind of setup.

I know that at least one firewall with authenticated http requests
authentication for each and every connection that you make through the
firewall.  Most users will only visibly have to authenticate once, if the
authentication is plaintext and is just being used for tracking measures on
a DHCP network.  The browser caches the password and sends it on request
every other time.  Given plaintext passwords, a standard authentication
format, and a competent coder, I suspect that it wouldn't be that hard to
modify httptunnel so that it could deal with authenticated http.