Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Rant (Was Re: Our friend FTP, again)

From: Janos Mohacsi <mohacsi () iit bme hu>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:34:11 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, David LeBlanc wrote:

Perphaps we need some real APIs for IP at layers 5 and
6 to implement this stuff.

Again, this is a bit idealistic... I question whether IPv6 will
ever be implemented outside of things like the 6bone.

Possibly.  I also think that IPSec will solve a lot of problems once it is
widespread.  It doesn't require IPv6, and once every protocol doesn't have
to roll its own privacy and integrity mechanisms, that will take us a long
way.  IPSec is going to be shipping in most major OS's RSN - we'll see if
people actually use it...

I am sure that IPv6 will be deployed in 1-2 years, because of shortage of
IP address base in Asia, and Europe. US  will lag behind of them: enough
IPv4 addresses. But If you get IPSec with IPv6 why you will not buy IPv6
ready/compliant system....

IPv6/IPsec combination are quite mature from several vendors.
        Jans Mohacsi