Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Citrix ICA - Published apps

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 06:25:13 -0400

Doug Sink wrote:

We have made it work through our firewall, Conclave, with several customers.
Sometimes it was as easy as opening up the port. The main problem is network
address translation. Then you have to set some things in the client and
server.

Under what conditions? I've never had a problem with NAT & Citrix. It's
always worked transparently whether the server was WinFrame, MetaFrame
or even MS Terminal Server. No special config on the client or the
server to deal with address translation through a firewall.

They also made it work using a web browser for a client. I haven't
done it personally so all I have are some emails from people about what they
did. Don't give up.

Done this a few times as well. In fact I have a client using the Web
plug-in to offer application out-sourcing over the Internet. The servers
are on a privately addressed subnet behind a firewall. No special config
was required on either the servers or the ICA file launched by the Web
client. The only problem with the Web client that I've run into is
getting Netscape to recognize it as a plug-in.

Cheers,
Chris
--
cbrenton () sover net

* Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782120822/geekspeaknet
* Mastering Network Security
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782123430/geekspeaknet