Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1: Questions about DHCP and IPX

From: Calvin Ng <CalvinNG () Brel com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:53:12 +0800

Greetings,

  I was recently in an unfortunate position to install a
  FW-1 in a very flat intranet ( MS- dominant ).  So, of course
  I have to segment out the servers and put them behind the
  firewall.

  The unfortunate thing is it breaks the NT domain setup.
  The servers behind the firewall cannot locate the domain
  controller.   BTW, its still broken, so if someone has
  know-how, do contact me off-line.

  Anyway, so I read up quite a bit on cross-domain stuff
  at the Microsoft web site.

  Okay, okay, here comes the relevant part.
  For DHCP across subnet, you need to have a router/gateway,
  (in this case FW-1), that is capable of being a BOOTP relay.
  In other words, you probably need to install some software
  on the firewall to do just that.  This information is found
  from the Microsoft Support Online at
        http://support.microsoft.com/support

  I think just FW-1 itself will not do it.  I still don't know
  how to let broadcasts get across subnets yet.  Maybe someone
  can show me.

  I don't know much about IPX, but I read the manual, and it says
  that FW-1 <quote> "completely ignores other IP level protocols,
  such as IPX and DECNET, which are processed by a different
  protocol stack."

  If you need to get the IPX packets through, you either need to
  install an IPX protocol stack on the firewall machine, which
  will then let the IPX packets through without inspection, or
  use IP-tunnelling for the IPX packets.  Choosing IP-tunnelling
  will probably require a bit of change on your servers and clients.

  Err, hope I have been of help.

/calvin