Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Dialup vs. VPN

From: "Gary Scheel" <gscheel () mail pps k12 or us>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:21:02 -0700

Hi all,

        I am trying to look at the pros and cons of running a bank of dialup modems
with the Cisco radius authentication vs. VPN setups in conjunction with our
firewall.  My thought is that it may be best to run a combination of both.
What are the security implications?  Should they be viewed as mutually
exclusive?  What is happening in the real world?

        Any comments, views, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Scheel                                             gscheel () pps k12 or us
                                Phone (503) 916-3158
Portland Public Schools                                 Fax     (503) 916-3000

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must
"    - Goethe