Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall-Wizards Digest V1 #197

From: Steve George <stevege () i-way net uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:56:58 +0100

Hi,

Since a proxies are normally considered to act the application level there is no particular reason why theu should not
understand more about the protocol that they are proxying.  With connectionless protocols such as SMTP this is quite
straightforward since you can implement the set of commands which you consider safe and then forward the stuff to the
other end, hence FWTK doesn't do some of the SMTP commands.   However, with connection orientated proxies such as
telnet you have to implement all of the protocol as you don't know what the user will do with it.  However, it seems to
me that in essense the problem is with the implementation of the thing at the other end of your proxy not the fact that
you can telnet to it rather than use a browser.

Steve