Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Apology - not necessary

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 00:57:03 -0400

Frank Willoughby wrote:
IMO, there is nothing to apologize for.

Frank, I gotta disagree.

Jason apologized, and like an upright man, and that was good.

His posting wasn't about national security, his posting was
rumor-mongering. It wasn't malicious, it was mistaken, but
it helped further a damaging rumor.

Since his posting I've made a number of enquiries of unquotable
nonexistent sources. None of them have pointed to a single
substantive "smoking gun."  Clearly the DOD may have problems
with Israelis, after that Israeli kid embarrassed some of the
DOD networkers so badly by pointing up how lame their security
was, but that's the best I could find. I spoke with Checkpoint's
VP of federal sales, and he said they've been working with NSA
to get them source code for review. (Hopefully source code that
compiles to an identical binary to the distribution!) :)  The
first time this rumor flared up I was still working for one
of Checkpoint's competitors and I still stuck up for them. :)
The rumor was (as far as I can tell) started by a consultant
who was closely tied to one of Checkpoint's competitors.

While Frank's points about national security make sense (especially
in the light of Crypto AG and related tales) this is about
squashing mud-slinging attempts, not security.

For the record, I'll reiterate my $3,000 challenge for a
disassembled proof of a trapdoor. I've appended the original
posting below.

mjr.

PS - NFR does not have any Mossad trapdoors in it. :)
We charge $1,000,000 for a trapdoor and they were too
cheap.:)
----