Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Content filtering

From: Bennett Todd <bet () mordor net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:32:29 -0400

1998-09-24-10:56:21 sedwards () sedwards com:
Several of my clients are "adult providers."

Suprisingly, they would prefer to be in an easily filtered domain like
"*.sex" so they don't have to worry about legal action from access by
minors.

Since the ".sex" top level domain is unlikely to happen, HTTPX would be
viable if it is supported by all browsers.

HTTPX is as well supported as anything else for this purpose; all browsers
should be able to view such sites (it's just a different port, which can be
encoded in the URL); I don't know of any browsers which currently support code
to block such URLs, but it's really easy to block them with any firewall code
I know of. Except of course for the use of anonymizers to bypass blocks....

-Bennett