Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:36:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

In other words, steal the good ideas from the past, but don't
chain yourself to the orange book albatross.

Um, that was my point ;)

For developing security software there's no substitute for
having done it before and made a few mistakes. (I can show
you my scars! Ask Mudge about the many beers and vip vacation!)

That's what really scares me about things like NT security:
"Yesterday I was an undergraduate CS major. Today I am writing a
security policy for an operating system that will wind up on
90+% of the systems in the world by the year 2000"  Joy, Joy, joy!

And *that* is why I felt the need to make it :)

HTH,

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280