Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [FW1] How many rules can exists in fw1 ?

From: Euan <euan () access org uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:58:09 +0100

Nope, not in the case of encryption rules, which are an exception to the
'first fit' model.

I was under the impression that it looked at the properties first, that
is where the rule 0 comes from and then the order of the rules.  Anytime
that I have used the fw-1 and tried to setup conflicting rules, the
verify portion has always bombed.

- Deepak

Jennifer Galvin wrote:

That's how it was explained to me in class.  Plus, if you have a rule that
requires encryption between two hosts, and then later on it allows no
encryption between two hosts, FW1 will then pick the rule with less
security, even though it comes after the 1st rule.