Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 98 16:51:37

--- On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 23:26:59 -0400 (EDT)  "Paul D. Robertson"
<proberts () clark net> wrote:

HTTP is an open-ended protocol specification with some _limitless_ size
specifications, I submit that it is beyond "difficult" to verify correct
functionality of a layer 5 transport protocol.  Testing just buffer
overflows on limitless length objects would seem to be less than an ideal
situation.

Absolutly.

       Proxies are much easier to verify than stateful filters under

No doubt about that.

the same circumstances, but once again, the source code is probably going
to give you a much higher level of assurance that oversized objects are
correctly handled unless you don't go look at the souce to the library
routines as well, in which case you can either do that, or accept a lower
level of assurance by banging against the calls with a substantial set of
test data.

I do not disagree with this. My real concern is that you have to know what
to look for.  If the designers of the versions of the code which have
"security holes" had known what to look for, they would have (hopefully!)
done things correctly.  My real concern is that the inspectors have to know
what to look for.

You are also making an assumption that I was not: that the tester has
access to the source code.  I doubt if I could go to vendor "X" and tell
them that I want to verify the security of a firewall for my client and
could I have a peek at the source.   Maybe if my client were big enough I
could, but for many of us that is not an option.  Just out of curiousity
does ICSA look at the source for certification?

Paul

--john