Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: GXD vs. SPF

From: Hines Dennis <Dennis.Hines () Columbia net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:56:09 -0500

Maybe it's just me, but I still fail to see the security stance of
someone who allows more than about four protocols.  Tunneling over SMTP,
HTTP, and DNS are pretty difficult to detect as is, but at least most of
it's trendable with statistics from common gateways.  How the heck do you
figure out a tunnel over half a gazillion protocols and still feel a
measure of protection?  Was I asleep in that part of the sales pitch?

Could someone fill me in a bit on the risks of tunneling over SMTP, HTTP,
etc.  What are the capabilities of this sort of attack?  How is it
accomplished (in general terms).

Thanks,

Dennis

dennis.hines () columbia net