Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Comparisons of Firewall-1 vs. PIX

From: "Chris Hughes" <chughes () rpm com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:16:03 -0400

In my research the striking differences between PIX and FW1 were:

- Reporting features
- Third-party security tools to support
- Centralized policy management
- Bi-directional authentication
- Number of sessions supported concurrently
- Encryption key security
- Price
- Performance (using Unix for the FW1 platform instead of WinNT)

One point that I did not grasp was the following comparison:

(Check Point:)  True high availability maintains connections in the event of
firewall failure. State information is synchronized between multiple
FireWall-1 modules to ensure that connections are not dropped when a single
FireWall-1 module fails.

(Cisco:) No synchronization of state information. All connections are
dropped in the event of firewall failure. If failover is configured, load
balancing is not supported.
(could someone clarify?)

There are other differences, but these stood out.  The problem (for Cisco)
is that Firewall1 seems to be the winner in all these points except price.
Any other reasons to purchase PIX??