Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: future of IDS

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 08:48:05 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Doug Hughes, sie wrote:

Darren Reed writes:

Something which just occurred to me, switches are `meant' to be able to
switch such that full speed communications are kept between any two nodes
on the switch without taking bandwidth away from other pairs.

If you have a switch with 24 ports for 100BaseT, can you then push 1.2Gb/s
through it ?  Or is that just the `gigabit' hubs ?  The problem is, that
if you have a single 100BaseT monitor port, either than throughput for the
entire switch is 100BaseT (serious reduction in performance) or you lose
packets on the monitor port.

That's what the gigabit uplink ports are for. There may be vendors that
let you funnel all your 100Mbit and dup it out a gig, but I'm not aware
of them. But yes, the switch backplane better be capable of approaching
1.2Gb, and most of them are these days.

I have just one problem with this: how do I plug my PC into one of those
gigabit uplink ports ?

Also, I imagine that the protocol on those connectors is proprietry, so
even if you could connect it, making sense of it would be the next trick.

Darren