Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: future of IDS

From: David Lang <dlang () diginsite com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:29:28 -0700 (PDT)

the problem with monitor port on switches is that if you have a fair size
office the total bandwidth of traffic that goes through the switch can
easily be higher then the speed of the port you are monitoring on (yes I
know gigabit ports are now available, but even these can be overflowed,
and what IDS even claims to be able to handle gigabit speeds). Monitor
ports may work at the lower end but not in larger settings where they are
more likly to be desired.

David Lang