Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SQL proxy IP failover

From: "Stephen P. Gibbons" <steve () aztech net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:25:14 -0700

A couple of years ago I wrote a Sybase OpenServer proxy with this type
of functionality in mind.  The failover/load balancing never got implemented,
but it wouldn't be too hard to stitch it in (unless the goal was total
transparency,
then it's somewhat stickier, but still doable.)

The biggest wins in the proxy I wrote (as it stands today) were regex ACLs,
the ability to log everything, and automagic connection pooling/reuse/GC.

--
Steve

Stout, Bill wrote:

I have a configuration where a webserver farm on a DMZ subnet (3rd fw port)
needs to query an Oracle8 database inside.  The inside network has a private
WAN and remote backup DB (different city, different subnet).  The remote
Oracle DB systems are not clustered, but a transaction log is copied over
every 15min and used to update the standby DB.

A SQLproxy can be used to access the primary database, but what happens
during failover?  Is there a SQLproxy that can do 'local director'-like
address redirection?

Hmmm, there's a new market, proxy servers as internal service redirection or
load balancing devices.  ;)

Bill Stout