Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump for NT

From: David LeBlanc <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:57:27 -0400

At 09:37 AM 10/9/98 -0700, Ryan Russell wrote:
From speaking with Mudge and Greg, their sniffers
were done from sample code out of the DDK, and in
fact were compatible with each-other.

Yup - based on packet.c from the DDK.  That's what we did to get truly raw
sockets in the ISS scanner, which is where I think Mudge and Greg got the
idea from.  Only problem is that if you want to send anything, you need to
re-invent arp.

What is actually a lot easier to deal with if you don't want access to the
IP header is just to bind a raw socket, and keep calling recvfrom().

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com