Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Odp: icmp scans

From: Gigi Sullivan <sullivan () seclab com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:37:44 +0100 (CET)

Howdy there :)

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:25:52 +0100
From: Pawel Maciejewski <laban () op onet pl>
To: Neil Ratzlaff <Neil.Ratzlaff () ucop edu>, firewall-wizards () nfr net
Subject: Odp: icmp scans

Hello

2.  Even if these packets made it through the firewall, I don't know what
it could get them other than confirmation of an existing machine.  Does
anyone know anything else they could do?

Yeah, some types of ICMP packets can be used to establish emulated "telnet"
connection and many more things.
For further information read the "Loki" paper on
http://www.infonexus.com/~daemon9/Projects/

Well, what are you talking about it's done *not* by *estabilish* a
connection, but it's done exploiting the "covert channel" IMHO. i.e.
route|daemon9 did a Project (Loki[1/2]) that exploits normal pings,
by inserting command into the ping's data portion.
Obviously there's a daemon on the other side that captures this ping and
perform some operations with these datas.
All this can provides to you a "shell", not interactive, but a sorta of
shell.

Please forgive me if I said "ping" and not icmp ECHO|ECHOREPLY.
It's possible to use almost every protocol to transport any kind of data.
The route's project is only [well done :)] an example imho.

Greetings

-= Signed =-
-= Pawel Maciejewski =-
-= e-mail : laban () op onet pl =-
-= ICQ #10839029 =-
   "Death comes to us all..."

Cheers,

                        -- gg sullivan

--
Lorenzo Cavallaro
Intesis SECURITY LAB            Phone: +39-02-671563.1