Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet adaptive proxies

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 06:21:34 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Rodney van den Oever, sie wrote:

What do folks make of Gauntlet's adaptive proxies that got best of show at
Networld+Interop?  As I understand it the proxies can be configured to
switch over to packet filtering after the intitial connection has been set
up thus preserving a lot of the security while increasing the speed.

Well, lets take the most basic (and most hated ? ;) example of FTP.
Something I have often thought of doing (and perhaps they do) is to
have your FTP proxy work as per FWTK but when it sees a PORT/PASV
command, it sets up the right filter rule(s) to allow direct throughput.

In a similar fashion, you might have your HTTP proxy look at what would
be the HEAD of the HTTP conversation and examine that as necessary before
setting up rules to allow the rest of the data to flow without going through
the proxy.

Isn't this exactly what CheckPoint's Security Servers do? They intercept
the packet, examine the data, then allow the packets right through.

No, it isn't exactly what CheckPoint's Security Servers do.  Well, maybe
at a very `basic' and abstract level.

CheckPoint doesn't have proxies for a start, so all it does is either
pass or deny packets.  For Gauntlet, there is a fundamental difference
for the path taken by data in the HTTP example above.  For the first
20 or so, the packets are interpreted by the local kernel as being a
part of a local TCP connection, resulting in data being copied in/out
of a user-space proxy.  Once the proxy is happy, it tells the kernel to
just pass the rest of the packets through - basic pkt filtering.  There
is no longer any copying of data between kernel/user space, no local
interpretation of TCP packets, etc.

Darren