Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN implementation

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () cse ogi edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 21:35:40 +0000

Dennis Nwaigbo wrote:

Hello gangs,
 I am building a VPN solution for our company.  What I am trying to do is
build a VPN through the internet so that my users can have a secure data
access at the corporate headquarters through the corporate WAN.  The
environment is purely NT shop. The intent is to use native PPTP for
connectivity.

My questions are as follows:
*       I intend to use the native PPTP for connectivity.  What are the ups
and downs of this protocol for this solution?
*       What are the security ramifications for using PPTP instead of IPSec?

Bruce Schneier has an excellent analysis of the security of PPTP here:
http://www.counterpane.com/pptp.html
Basically, it's dreadful.  From reading Schneier's analysis of PPTP, I would
use something else.

Crispin
-----
 Crispin Cowan, Research Assistant Professor of Computer Science, OGI
    NEW:  Protect Your Linux Host with StackGuard'd Programs  :FREE
       http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/immunix/StackGuard/

                 Support Justice:  Boycott Windows 98