Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: POP3 Security Issues

From: Nicholas Brawn <ncb () okugi com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:32:18 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Jason Axley wrote:

There isn't any security in POP3.  Unless you are using POP3 over SSL to
encrypt the data, you will be allowing people's unencrypted email, logins,
passwords to traverse the Internet.  You probably shouldn't do that.  If
you allow people to come across the Internet, connect to your proxy, log
in to the POP3 proxy, to check their email, some attacker could grab the
logins and passwords as they're typed in and use them to log in
themselves--perhaps gaining access to other resources on your network that
accept the same logins and passwords.

-Jason

Speaking of pop3 over SSL, is anyone aware of mail clients or pop3
retrievers (Unix and/or Windows) that support it? The reason I'm asking
is that i've recently plugged SSL into qpopper (2.53), and want to know
whether I need to patch something like fetchmail, or whether there's
something out there already that will do the job.

Cheers,
Nick