Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Speeds and feeds

From: Drexx Depuno <drexx () mindgate com ph>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 13:56:31 +0000

Hello,

If you really want bandwidth management and firewall functionality,
why don't you use Check Point's Floodgate-1 and Firewall-1 on a
good, 2-CPU, Solaris SPARC machine? We use it in our office and our
humble 64kbps to ISP was given a new lease on life (pardon the pun).

I think the Cisco solution uses RSVP and so do a lot of other traffic
management solutions. If so, isn't a requirement of RSVP to be fully
effective is to have RSVP-speaking devices connected per device on
the network? And so it's almost impossible to achieve in the Internet?

BTW, is there any serious security trade-offs of having traffic
management and firewall functionality on one box?

Drexx Depuno (Opinions are my own and not of my employer.)