Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newbie question - IP routing through a firewall

From: "Rodney van den Oever" <roever () nse simac nl>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 22:37:24 +0200

      Internet --- Router --- Firewall ---- Internal Network

                            Server Farm

I've read you shouldn't have IP Routing enabled in the firewall, that's

That's dependant on the type of firewall, packet-level (yep) or application
level (nope).

fine, but my question is: Should the router pass all the traffic to the
firewall? I mean, should it have a route like 'internal-network gw
firewall'?

It depends on the type of firewall:

o packet filter: yes.
o packet filter, static or dynamic translation or hide mode: no
o application level (proxy) or circuit level (socks): no

--
Rodney van den Oever / 06 55868577 / PGP Key ID 0x0A6CCE53
When asked by an anthropologist what the Indians called America