Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Identifying End of Tx in FTP

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 03:50:56 -0700

1998-05-25-19:13:49 Laris Benkis:
We have a system in place where clients drop off files via FTP to a
wu-ftp server which are then processed automatically by scripts. Files
have to be processed relatively quickly for the application to work
properly therefore the convention we have developed is to indicate end
of transmission by doing a rename of the file once the initial put is done.

That's an approach I hadn't thought of. Cool!

We are trying to tighten the security of the whole process and want to
use FW1 ftp resources to limit where puts can be done.  Unfortunately it
turns out that when the ftp resources are used it is no longer possible to
do rename.

So you're gonna have to change the client behavior for sure --- unless
the client code implementation currently ignores the errors the failing
rename attept produces.

What is a reliable, transparent way to tell that an ftp transmission has
been completed?

A question I've pondered before --- having done the same kind o' stuff,
ftp-ing files into a directory where they were then automatically
processed.

We have a fallback solution where the client would send a file then
send a second delimiter file to indicate that the transmission of the
first file is complete.

That's what I ended up doing.

But I just had another idea hit me --- wu-ftpd has highly-configurable
logging, it's easy to get it to log every transfer. So do so, and then
bolt a log-watcher on, and let the appearance of the log message
describing the completed transfer trigger the spool file processor.

-Bennett