Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: visigenic visibroker protocols through firewalls

From: Jeremy Epstein <jepstein () tis com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:42:18 -0500

Does anyone have any information about how to let VisiBroker protocols
(some kind of Java ORB IIOP protocol, to build Java client-server
applications, made by company called VisiGenic www.visigenic.com now owned
by Borland) through firewalls?

Concept 5 (www.concept5.com) is working with Visgenic.  They have some
reasonably good stuff on their web page.

Are there specifications for how the protocols work, what must be opened
to let them through?

IIOP is described on the OMG web page (www.omg.org).  It's not the easiest
thing in the world to find, but it is there.

We are using address translation and I am afraid it might be so that the
protocols embed IP numbers inside the packets, so when client connects to
server, the server tries to connect back to clients internal address
(client in internal net, server in DMZ).

If I'm understanding you correctly, that *could* be a problem.  IORs are in
a vendor-specific format, so a vendor could include an IP address, which
you would then have to deal with translating.
| Jeremy Epstein              |  E-mail: jepstein () tis com            |
| Trusted Information Systems |  Voice:  +1 (703) 356-2225 Ext 106   |
| Northern Virginia Office    |  Fax:    +1 (703) 821-8426           |
| "Building a World of Trust" |  WWW:    http://www.tis.com          |