Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

WINS Replication Protocols

From: Oliver Wainwright <wainwrio () ing-americas com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:09:55 +0000

Gentlemen,

We are in the process of developing an intranet security profile which
will consist of a template of applications/services which must be made
available to our remote offices via our WAN. I have been unable to find
any documentation regarding a port and protocol for Microsoft's WINS to
WINS replication. WINS client name resolution is performed via UDP on
port 137. I'm hoping WINS will run replication via TCP on port 137 as I
prefer not to pass UDP traffice through our firewalls.

Any guidance and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA