Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS -vs- the firewall: security thoughts

From: Bret Watson <lists () bwa net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:42:12

At 03:51 9/03/98 -0800, you wrote:
I'm currently contemplating a serious redesign, doing away with DNS from
the internet altogether. We use _nothing_ but non-transparent proxies on
the firewall, so I can't see any good reason why end-user workstations
should need to be able to resolve internet hostnames. I'd really love to
chop that off altogether; people are getting cleverer about using
bizarrely-corrupted DNS data to burgle systems.

Todd,
I'm guessing that you mean you'd like to do away with the ability for a
workstation to do its own DNS resolving, not that you want to remove DNS
from the 'net -after all we don't want to go back to host files do we :}

why not put a DNS at the firewall? have the clients point to the firewall
for their requests and have the firewall DNS forward to wherever. If you
put the DNS at the firewall into slave mode and run something decent like
bind-8 it _shoudl_ be ok... Most of the FW-1 seem to use this system -not
great, but better than letting DNS through as you pointed out...
Technical Incursion Countermeasures
consulting () bwa net                      http://www.ticm.com/
ph: (+61)(08) 9454 2487(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9454 6042

The Insider - a e'zine on Computer security
http://www.ticm.com/about/insider.html