Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Accessing a UNIX server through MS Proxy server 2.0

From: "Joe Ippolito - President SVNPA" <joe () joesnet com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:44:10 -0700

As long as the UNIX host is a Socks 4.3 client you can use pretty much any
TCP application including telnet.  You will need the identd service running
on the proxy box and if you are using the packet filtering you will need to
create a rule (as in any other fire wall) to let it through.  You can not do
any applications requiring UDP through the socks proxy or ICMP though any of
the proxy services.  If you need to provide complete services to UNIX
clients try a full service firewall like Firewall-1.  If you want to make a
small pipe look really fast for gobs of WinSock clients and have a stateful
packet-inspection firewall, secure web publishing, etc. etc. for really
cheap use MS Proxy 2.

A book I can recommend is "MCSE: Proxy Server 2 Study Guide", Erik Rozell
et. al., Sybex Network Press, 1998.  It is a bit wordy but quite thorough
and the price is much more reasonable than MS courseware.

The documentation provided with MS Proxy is also very well done.  You need
to have IE 4 and Index Server installed to use it.