Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Proxy 2.0 secure?

From: "Grigorof, Adrian" <AGrigoro () mobility com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:50:10 -0400

I haven't heard so far about networks hacked due vulnerabilities in MS
Proxy... but God, how many have been hacked due badly configured "real"
firewalls! I would like to hear about an attack through MS Proxy but I
am afraid I may not live enough... Disable all the services on the
external interface and show me how can one rename files, use User
Manager and so on - this is really ridiculous!
MS TCP/IP stack as well as 99% of the TCP/IP stacks are vulnerable to
Denial of Service attacks - nothing new under the Sun.
I also constantly check www.ntsecurity.net - NOTHING that would help
someone attacking from the Internet a network secured with MS Proxy. Can
anyone remember when did CERT send any "warnings" about MS Proxy?
WinSock major problem etc..  - can you give more details? Also what has
MS PPTP to do with MS Proxy?

I agree to hammer MS when they screw up, they may be M$ (as oppossed to
the other guys that are in the business just for the pleasure) but hey,
be objective, it helps! Anyway, speaking of $ how much is Proxy and how
much is let's say Eagle Firewall? I can tell you: MS Proxy ~ 1,000$,
Eagle ~ 15,000$.

Adrian Grigorof