Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy 2.0 secure? (AG vs. SPF)

From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr () sybase com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:55:03 -0700

I'm repeating myself a bit here because of some
lag in messages getting to list members, but...

I claim that any IP handling software that isn't part
of the OS, and hence isn't usable by the OS is
a type of SPF.

So, for example, if one believes that the exercise
of take a good IP stack and making it a standalone
application can be accomplished without introducing
significant bugs, then you have an excellent starting point.

I don't believe that SPFs have to be written as state machines.
The "state" in SPF comes from the fact that the big brothers
of traditional PFs keep "state" about previous packets..
not that they neccessarily use a state mechanism to do so.

Wouldn't having the IP stack not effectivly running as root
be an improvement?  Couldn't there be some useful security
information gleaned by not throwing away bits of information
that are tossed currently by the barrier between IP stack
and app logic that is the sockets API?

                         Ryan

Bennett Todd <bet () mordor net> on 07/07/98 08:56:32 AM