Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: multiple ip addresses on a sinle NIC

From: "M. Dodge Mumford" <dmumford () nfr net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:48:16 -0400 (EDT)

I did this with a linux box doing IP masquerading until I got a second
NIC.

Certainly one of the main concerns is that, since it's one NIC, your
internal hosts are on the same segment as your external hosts. Here's the
way my config looked at the phyisical level:

----/   ----------
   /----| router |
        ----------

          -------------------------------
             |               |         |
          ------------   ---------   ---------
          | linux gw |   | box 1 |   | box 2 |
          ------------   ---------   ---------

But topologically, it looked like this:

----/   ----------
   /----| router |
        ----------

          --------      legal 29 bit network

         ------------
         | linux gw |

         | box 1 |   | box 2 |

Because I used a reserved network address, the inside hosts can't be
addressed directly (without using source routing). The problem is if the
router or the firewall becomes compromised. You've got that much less
protection from the bad guy.