Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall blocking broadcasts in between NT Servers

From: Richard Sharpe <sharpe () ns aus com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 10:24:58 +0900

At 09:18 PM 7/15/98 -0400, roger nebel <roger () homecom com> wrote:
Another possibility is that if the firewall you are using has Network
Address Translation (NAT) or even IP masquerading, and your MS boxes are
talking SMB over TCP/IP (NetBT), then the firewall can't translate the
NetBEUI addresses since most, if not all, firewalls don't know how to
open up the SMB headers to fix the NetBEUI addresses correctly according
to your NAT mappings.  Of course I'm assuming you have all the net
masks, gateways, and routes correctly set...

Ummm, this sounds a little confused. NetBEUI (NetBIOS Extended User Info)
is an ethernet only protocol, and as such is not routable and will not
carry IP addresses (except possibly in the final data area where they may
appear in SMB data as a result of IP addresses in files).

Since you also mention NetBT, what you may be referring to is WINS and
other Name lookup stuff that Microsoft Windows does, which definitely will
carry IP addresses that will need translation by the FW if NAT is in use
inside the network to be protected. NetBT is NetBIOS over TCP/IP, which
includes name lookup and SMB functions. An NetBT connection may result in a
redirect, which will contain an IP address that may need to be translated,
but all name lookup responses will need to be translated as well.

When a Domain Controller comes up it tries to register in the WINS server,
and checks to see if the names <DOMAIN>1c and <DOMAIN>1d are registered to
determine if a PDC already exists. Also, I believe that the PDC logs onto
BDCs using a special machine account, and it gets the IP address for the
BDC from WINS, so if the info is wrong, things will not work.

What is probably needed in that case is a WINS proxy.  I suspect that an
SMB proxy is not needed, as I don't remember any SMBs which carry IP
addresses that may need translating.

good luck with the rest of the test

Marriott, Charles wrote:

The IIS server is looking for a registered master browser and domain
controller in it's WINS server database and not finding it.

snip