Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: New CALEA Backdoors annouced

From: ICMan <shane () tor securecomputing com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:34:51 -0400

Bill,

I would like to point out that the "backdoor" proposed is really a "front
door" with a big dead bolt on it.  The proposed method of providing
access to encrypted traffic to law enforcement officials does not weaken
the key length.  The key remains as strong.  Access to the information is
granted to law enforcement agencies by the sysadmin.  The sysadmin can
chose to comply with law agencies or not.  I would recommend that they do
comply, but the option to fight an inappropriately obtained warrant still
exists.

With key escrow, enforcement agencies can crack encryption whenever they
wish, and it becomes more difficult to protect against law agencies'
inappropriate use of their capability to eavesdrop on encrypted connections.

The solution proposed should provide international companies with the
confidence to use US created VPN products.  Bank of Hong Kong will not
use a US encryption product knowing that the US government can get into
their traffic at the drop of a hat.

ICMan

Disclaimer:  My opinions are most likely not that of my employer.  It's a
wonder they are even mine.