Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Check firewalls for Y2K

From: John Schoonover <Schoonover_CIC () compuserve com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:31:06 -0400

Texte du message écrit par "Stout, Bill"
Sender: owner-firewall-wizards () nfr net
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:42:09 -0400
From: "Stout, Bill" <StoutB () pios com>
Subject: Check firewalls for Y2K
To: Firewall-wizards <firewall-wizards () nfr net>

I would bet that most firewalls are based on PCs, and many were made
before 1997(Most 1997 and newer BIOSs are compliant).  PC Y2K BIOS page:

        http://www.mitre.org/research/cots/COMPLIANT_BIOS.html.

Might as well audit the whole system for 4-character Y2K issues
(logging, time-based authentication, filesystem date stamps, etc) while
you're at it.  Then the other infrastructure systems such as DNS
servers, MX hosts, (C.O. switches?) etc, etc.  At the least CYA with
letters of compliance from vendors.

<snip>

I wonder if you can portscan for non-compliant daemons?

Bill Stout

<

Your remarks about Y2K and PCs reminds me that I recently found a
little piece of freeware that checks out whether a machine will be
able to deal with the new millenium

It's called test2000.

Look for it at

http://www.pcworld.com/software_lib/data/articles/system/4451.html