Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: performance of TIS Gauntlet

From: Rick Murphy <rmurphy () itm-inst com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:21:53 -0500

At 12:43 PM 1/26/98 -0500, James Croall wrote:
I'm not too familiar with the kernel changes in the Gauntlet kernel, but
as far as I can tell it uses swIPe to provide the VPN support. swIPe has
been ported to NetBSD and FreeBSD, and could be ported to some of the
other BSD unices out there. Of course, you can always drop in your
favourite IPsec implementation and have even stronger encryption.
The VPN support is swIPe that works (there's a bug in the stuff
floating around the net that will cause packet corruption when it's
used over unreliable networks; the original SunOS version didn't
have the problem.)

The only other serious kernel modification that I know of is the code to
provide transparent proxy support, and there are patches available to
add this to the various 4.4BSD unices out there.
The significant kernel mod is to add a system call for transparency
support. If this system call isn't available, the proxies won't function.
The FWTK transparency patches that I've seen do things very differently.
There is also a packet screening device driver that amongst other things
blocks ICMP.

Although if you're this die-hard about doing it yourself..
Well, I *did* do it myself.. when I worked for TIS ;-)
        -Rick