Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Reactive Firewalls

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () cyber com au>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:38:45 +1100 (EST)

In some mail I received from Stout, William, sie wrote

I agree to the extent that I seriously question firewalls that shutdown
during a perceived attack.  I agree that reactive firewalls can be
dangerous, a hacker/cracker finds out what a target responds to, then
manipulates the target by its' reactions.  A reactive firewall makes a
great D.O.S. target.

Whilst feedback may help the hacker, if it shuts down and needs to be
manually rebooted, it also slows down the attack considerably.  There's
also a good chance it will discourage those who are 'trolling' for
insecure sites/firewalls from making a serious attempt to penetrate
your firewall.

Personally, I'd prefer a service that fell victim to D.O.S attacks than
one which could be compromised.

Darren