Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN and firewalls

From: moorestuart () attmail com (Stuart Moore)
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 09:41:23 +0000

Rik,

When talking about that generic "VPN" technology area, it is important to
consider products in light of the problem to be solved.  Some of these "VPN"
products are focused on solving different business problems (e.g., Internet as
a backbone, secure remote access via service provider, electronic commerce).
Some try to solve all those problems, but are often better suited to one
versus another.

An example:  One vendor of "upper layer" VPN technology has an interesting
feature that allows for digital signatures of transport data.  A bank using
this VPN product in conjunction with a secure web server could obtain a
digitally signed copy of a web form submission at the VPN gateway, in addition
to a record on the secure web server.  This configuration provides two
separate records that can be reconciled.  IPsec technology perhaps would not
be so ideal in providing this type of service.

I sense a tremendous amount of confusion in the marketplace over the very
questions you asked.  The current products (despite slick marketing, in some
cases) are still generally immature, and I think that customers diving into
this head first will find the pool to be quite shallow.  It will be
interesting to see how the market unfolds.

Stuart