Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Practical Firewall Metrics (rant)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 09:16:48 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 tqbf () secnet com wrote:

[snip]

What I'm interested in is evaluation of the network "engine" (excuse me
for using that term) of a firewall. To take a simplified example, I'd like
to see widely accepted tests for static packet filter implementations (can
I get past it with IP fragmentation? does SYN+FIN slip past an
"established" filter?). I think it's reasonable to say that a test suite
which limits itself in scope to the (say) packet filter implementation
would have some value.

This becomes increasingly difficult with dynamic packet filtering, where
the test tool needs to know to test the inbound packets after an outbound
packet, and things like that.  For static filtering, it's fairly easily
done, but in the case of filters that don't always exhibit the same
behaviour, testing them sufficiently is increasingly complex and requires
some sort of inside/outside testing mechanism that is cooperative.

I agree that there is value in having such tools, I'm just not sure it's
likely that they'll test things in such a way that creates useful results
without being very complex beasts if we take into account dynamic filters.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280