Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Model for security (was Re: Important Comments re: INtrusion Detection )

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 98 11:16:48

OK,  I think we need some new sort of model, too.  I guess I need an
earlier starting point, though: what form should the model take?

Here are some (unordered) thoughts we could perhaps use as a starting
point:

I'm more struggling with the form than the content at this point.  That is,
do we want to look at an access model (as paragraph one alludes to below)
or do we want something else?

Reading paragraph one below again, it seems as though the "timesharing"
system isn't so far fetched a concept today as it seems, if we consider
"the network is the system".  Then it *sort of* distributes the system
around.  The problem with that is that we then have N (where N is not too
small) different implementations of each part of the system, etc.

So in general, I think the model needs to deal with the distributed nature
of computing as we now have it.  Maybe there is a heirarchical structure
of:
        User

        Local application (e.g. client)

        Local system (esp. the OS)

         | -- is the information about how the local and remote systems
         |      connect significant?

        Remote system (esp. the OS)

        Remote application (e.g. server)

This 5-tuple (is that enough?, too much?) might desrcibe an "association"
for which some attributes might be enumerated.

Anyway, I hope this servers as a starting point for some thought...

--john

--- On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:17:31 +0000  "Steven M. Bellovin"