Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Raptor Firewall problem

From: "Chris Hughes" <chughes () rpm com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:12:32 -0500

I've run into a problem with the Raptor firewall (version 4) today
denying some traffic that has been working fine.  Impact: POP (110), AOL
(5190), and Notes (1352) at least.  WWW and SMTP are fine.  The rules with
explicit permission for the affected TCP ports are still in place.  The
entities (users IP networks) are still in place.   Raptor is
intermittently logging the denials of 'no rule'; other times he blocks the
passage without logging.   Client sniffing shows client sends SYN, then
Raptor on behalf of remote host IP address sends back RST.  There are 4-5
retries. No sessions can complete.

From a Root login on the firewall, I *CAN* telnet to target hosts and
specify those ports.  I don't know if this bypasses all rules processing
or not.  Sounds clearly to be a Firewall problem.

This problem just came up today. The same ports worked fine yesterday.
Don't know what could have triggered this. Customer has a scheduled change
control to reboot tonight to try to get past this.  For some reason
they're reluctant to contact Raptor for help.

Has anyone run into this?  found a fix (not just a reset)?
Chris Hughes
Internetworking Consultant

RPM Consulting
A Network Solutions Subsidiary of Computer Horizons
http://www.rpm.com  http://www.computerhorizons.com

Office: 410-309-6000  1-800-776-0073
Email: chughesnospam () rpm com