Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [FW1] Scary traffic - long

From: cbrenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:27:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, roger nebel wrote:

just an fyi, f/w-1 logging guesses at the service (tftp in this case)
based on the destination port (tftp=69).

Its not so much that it "guesses" as it "assumes" that traffic headed to a
well known port is of a traffic type that is associated with that service
but you are essentially correct, you have no idea what is in the payload
based on the service port.

also, the "tftp"
broadcast was a full 5 seconds earlier than the icmp packets in the
example.  they may not be related at all.

Good catch. I had not really noticed this before so I went back and
checked the delay on the other 2 log entries I found which where similar.
The second shows a delay of 32 seconds from TFTP broadcast to system
response while the third entry had a delay of 49 seconds. This is not a
big gap but certainly an eternity in networking. I think you are really on
to something here.

Unfortunately, this makes me feel worse, not better as it implies that
some form of traffic was being transmitted _after_ the TFTP broadcast
which is not showing up in the logs. Its the only logical explanation for
the time delays.

Thanks for the insight,
Chris
--
cbrenton () sover net

* Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0782120822/0740-8883012-887529
* Mastering Network Security
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0782123430/002-0346046-8151850