Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ports 256,257,258 open on FW-1

From: "Bruce B. Platt" <bbp () comport com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:49:12 -0500

At 10:17 AM 12/12/98 -0500, Lart wrote:

... snip ...

->There was that (bogus) security advisory a few weeks back from the people
->at Diligence as well.  The gist?  Take the default settings and you are
->vulnerable.  Why do I call it bogus?  If you're installing firewalls, any
->kind, not just Check Point, you need to properly configure them.
->

As for me, I thought the Diligence advisory was great.  A major problem
with  most firewall product marketing is
the assertion by the producers that their software is easy to use and
configure, and works "right-out-of-the-box".

Now, Checkpoint has a "certification" program for training administrators
... which some other vendors don't.  But I'm delighted to see anything
which raises public awareness about the difficulties of fw configuration,
installation, maintenance, and monitoring.

IMHO, there are too many firewalls out there which make people feel secure,
but are not securing their enterprise.

It makes we want to start a few, "Did I tell you the one about ..."

Regards,
Bruce B. Platt, Ph.D.
Comport Consulting Corporation
78 Orchard Street, Ramsey, NJ 07446