Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: meaning of "both" in a filter statement

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:29:43 -0400 (EDT)

Has anyone found an explanation for what "both" really does.?

Hal,

The distinction is between "can" and "may".  Obviously, the IP "can"
not go either way.  But the file is saying that it "may".

Hu?

I can kick my kids [physically capable].  I may not [not permissible].

The connection from the firewall to a specific IP address can only go
through one of the N (N >= 2) interfaces.  But the file is saying that,
whichever of those interfaces allows that connection, the connection
MAY [is allowed to be] made.

The file only gives permissions.  It does not speak to physical
capabilities or connection realities.

This makes much more sense when using rules with wild cards.  E.g.,
deny e-mail in or out to and from all IP addresses on "both"
interfaces, or allow Quake in and out to and from all IP addresses on
"both" interfaces.  ;-}

Capish?

An unusual use  and maybe spurious       Capisci?

The specific examples, yes.  The form, absolutely not.  As a more
specific use, if I want to have 'ping's or MTU discovery go through the
firewall transparently, I may need to enable those ICMP services
to/from all IP addresses on "both" interfaces.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support                                          EMT-A/B