Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ config question

From: Chris Lonvick <clonvick () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:31:48 -0500

Hi,

Oops...  This does show a point I missed (probably one of many).

Any smidgen of intelligence in a network device may be exploitable.
From that, I'd add to the list something like:

Harden each device - In the devices that have intelligence,
(Unix, NT, etc.), and in your network devices (router, switch, hub)
reduce the interfaces that are available (telnet, ftp, SNMP, finger,
echo/ip, timestamp/ip, discard/ip, bootp, etc.) to only those
service interfaces that you will want to present to the untrusted
network.

This may mean eliminating the ftp service from the web server which
may mean that it is difficult to update the content.  Bummer - your
choice; safe or easy.  Extrapolating from what Adam wrote, I'd
suggest you know (or find) the entry points to each device and
decide it they're safe or not.  "Safe" being a term relative to your
context.  If they're just not needed, eliminate them.

I'm sure there are many more types of malicious attacks on switches
that I'll be learning about in the coming months...  ;-)  Thanks for
the pointer.

Good luck,
Chris

---various stuff deleted for brevity, except---