Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IBM

From: Andrew Yeomans <andrew_yeomans () uk ibm com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:54:30 +0000

The Lan Times review of SNG was flawed: at the time, IBM provided an official
response giving details of the problems with the review. In a nutshell, the two
main issues were:
a) The review was of SNG 2.1, but 2.2 was released a month later;
b) It was evident that the reviewers lacked knowledge on firewalls, for example
stating that SNG ".. has no circuit level functionality..", but two sentences
later talking about SNG's use of SOCKS, which I'm sure you know provides
circuit-level functionality. I could give more examples, but I don't really
want to rake over the dying embers of that review.

I'll refer you to the home page http://www.software.ibm.com/enetwork/firewall/
for details of the latest IBM FIrewall V3.2 for AIX and NT. I can't pretend to
be unbiassed, but I think you will find the IBM Firewall is very competitive in
features and price with the other firewalls on the market.

Andrew_Yeomans () uk ibm com,                      Installation Support Centre,
EMEA  Network  Computing  Software  and  e-business  Centre  of  Competence,
MP 3GS, IBM UK Ltd, 1 New Square, Bedfont Lakes, Feltham, Middlesex,TW14 8HB
Tel: +44-181-818-4288 Int: 36-4288 Fax: +44-181-818-5475 Pager: 01523-494985

"It's a UNIX system. I _know_ this!" - Jurassic Park

owner-firewall-wizards () nfr net on 06-04-98 03:13:49 AM
Please respond to fruggieri () selfin net