Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Lloyds to offer hacker insurance

From: "Todd Radermacher" <Todd.Radermacher () digitivity com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:13:12 -0700

On Wednesday, April 29, 1998 7:36 AM, Kevin Tyrrell
[SMTP:tyrrell () foremost com] wrote:
all at once. I don't see how Lloyds can calculate the odds of loss
from an exposure they don't even know exists. At least we're pretty
sure we
won't see a bunch of mobile homes destroyed by volcanoes erupting in
Tampa.

Never underestimate statistics!   ;-)

What we are really talking about here is a lack of actuarial data in
regards to
computer security (break-in stats).  What we are lacking is the data
that says
"if you employ security technique X - your risk of breach is Y".

By evaluating the "secureness" factor (y) of many networks and
recording the
incidence of breach, the statisticians should be able to determine the
appropriate premium to charge that will produce a profit for the
insuring agency.

                                        --tr