Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: how to do intrusion detection right

From: Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05 () uow edu au>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:04:14 +1000 (EST)

Would you then not run the risk of attackers masking hostile traffic by
making it appear to look "expected"?

Nicholas Brawn

--
Email: ncb05 () uow edu au
Nicholas Brawn - Computer Science Undergraduate, University of Wollongong.

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, George J. Dolicker wrote:

I think perhaps what the intrusion detection system might do is not look
for something "interesting", but rather something "different".  Rather than
trying to define what is a problem, define what is NOT a problem... so
configure the IDS to smile upon traffic that is expected, and panic over
anything else.

Same principal we use in firewalling:  that which is not explictly
permitted is denied.

G.